Wednesday, January 02, 2008

New Year's family Celebrations

January 2nd 2008.
While I was preparing to go to Shibby's family's, Ludeen kept the kids occupied by playing Jenga. Not the typical traditional food for New Year...but almost! They display the food in traditional 'Jubako' boxes.

Some of the food is the traditional New Year's food, but I tend to put in whatever I like. A double dose of seafood this year.

Crab claws...


The boxes are wrapped in a 'Furoshiki', a cloth that is used to carry things around in.
Around the table at my Mother-in-law's.
Ken showing off his New Year's money. They get given hundreds of dollars from their relatives every year, it is a Japanese tradition. Usually the parents give the kids money too, but we prefer not to keep that part of the tradition....
Cheers.....or, Kampai!


Time to dig in!




Ken and Jo making 'onigiri' (rice balls) with their Grandma.
The rest of the family had 'Fugu', Blow Fish, after that! Fugu is one of the most expensive fishes in Japan, and I know my Uncle paid hundreds of dollars for our New Year's feed. I'm sure you know that the organs of the Blow Fish are extremely poisonous and every year some Japanese die from a badly prepared fish. You have to have a licence to prepare the fish, so the chances are slim that you will be poisoned...but still...are YOU game to take the chance?? My family obviously was, but personally, I don't think it tastes that great so don't see what all the fuss is about! A nice snapper will do me any day.

No comments: